Yes, it’s that time of year again! Time for the spring half of Leon & Lulu’s biannual Books & Authors event! This juried book signing has become a fixture in Metro Detroit, and I’m honored and thrilled to announce that I’ll be there for the second time, signing copies of both Pistils AND Sub Rosa!
Books & Authors is insanely cool on so many levels. The store that hosts it, Leon & Lulu, is my favorite local business in all of Metro Detroit. It takes “awesome” and cranks it up to eleven. If you’re stuck buying a gift for someone who’s impossible to buy for, I promise you it’ll be in stock here. They give back to the community on a non-stop basis. The merchandise is…I can’t even describe it. Eclectic, beautiful, varied…it’s like that one friend who is so unbelievably cool on every level but wears it with the ultimate je ne sais quoi. If I were a baby store, I’d want to grow up to be just like Leon & Lulu.
So here’s a little flashback to the last time I attended as an author:
Look at the decor around me. LOOK AT IT! Effortlessly gorgeous, I tell you. You can tell the store’s owners love what they do.
Okay, enough gushing. Here are the details:
- Sunday, April 29th, 10am-5pm. As soon as they have a Facebook Event up for it, I’ll share it everywhere.
- You’re supporting local Michigan authors
- 40% of all the profit goes to the Oakland Literacy Council, which actively promotes adult literacy in Metro Detroit. So yes, for each book you buy, 40% of what you pay is going directly to OLC via L&L
- The authors will be doing 15-minute readings from the books they have for sale
- Get your books personalized and signed, and take pictures with the authors too!
This is not some convention-hall packed-to-the-gills book signing, this is a party. And even if you’re unable to come (obviously it’s a local event, even with southeast Michigan being pretty huge), PLEASE share the information with your friends and family in Michigan and northern Ohio.
Leading up to the event, I’ll be sharing posts about my experiences with book signings packed full of advice for my author friends…I know some authors fear them only slightly less than the fiery pits of hell, but I promise you that with preparation, it will be one of the most fun things you’ll do, and you’ll be sad when it’s over. So far, the list of topics I have jotted down are:
- Your table/display setup
- Stuff to bring
- What to expect
- How to autograph a book/s
- How to deal with stingy folk (aka “You’re charging $15 for this?!?”)
Let me know if there are any other topics you’d like me to cover! In the meantime, please share the word about Books & Authors, and definitely let me know if you’re planning on attending!!!